How is the Monkey Bar Gym different than other gyms?
We specialize in natural movements, functional fitness and bodyweight training and old resistance: ropes, kettlebells, sandbags, tires and more. So no weight benches or machines.
What is "bodyweight training"?
This is when you use your own bodyweight with or without added resistance to a bodyweight exercise to build functional strength — the kind of strength you can actually use: like shoveling snow and cleaning the house.
What is "functional fitness"?
Your body is a chain of muscles linked together to help you play sports drive a car and brush your teeth. By do exercises that work your whole body, you gain functional strength and stability.
Will I get "big" and "bulky" by working out at the Monkey Bar Gym?
You will get an athlete build, adding functional muscle, cutting fat… but no bulking up.
I've never really worked out before, is Monkey Bar Gym for me?
Our workouts are broken down into skill levels and exercises into progressions. So you move along at your own fitness pace. As Jon always says, we motivate you the way you need it.
How do I know what fitness level I am at?
We start you at stability. But we like to test all students each month so you'll know exactly which level to train at for each workout. Then you progress from there. Master that, then you can move on.
- Stability (and alignment): Focus on improving your ability to align your body correctly. Learn the basics of each exercise, increase your functional range of motion, your stability and base strength. It's extremely important you develop a good base before going on to our strength level.
- Strength: Congrats! Now we make the same stability exercises more challenging by adding resistance or increasing the level of challenge of the exercise and increasing the functional range of motion in each exercise.
- Power: Pound your chest! Power level exercises are much faster, more challenging and much more dynamic. They require higher degrees of stability and strength. Speed without control is a dangerous.
Is the "Daily Challenge" enough or should I do more?
Done right it is. The workouts are designed to improve your strength and stamina in the fastest, safest manner. Often the daily challenge might seem easy but it's always what you put into it. The workouts are designed for the week and re specifically balanced to reap the greatest rewards. You'll get results if done properly and with high intensity.
MONKEY BAR GYM | CLASSES
Should I warm up before working out?
YES! 10 minutes of Eischen Yoga, doing range-of-motion drills with a medicine ball, jumping rope or mixing them all up. We do 10-15 minutes to prepare for each workout to warm the body, decrease the chance of injury and prep you for the workout.
Should I do a 'core' workout?
It may not look like it, but every exercise is working your core. Doing a variety of exercises each day is the absolute best for true core strength. And while every exercise hits the 'core', we usually do some a few times a week anyways.
MONKEY BAR GYM | MEMBERSHIPS & CHALLENGES
What types of memberships do you offer?
- Monthly Standard Package - (1) Month includes 10 classes
- Single Membership - (12 or 24) Months includes unlimited classes
- Student Short Term Membership - (1) Month includes 5 classes
- 60 Day Fitness Challenge - (2) Months includes unlimited classes, 60 day program, and evaluations
- 30 Day Fitness Challenge - (1) Month includes unlimited classes, 30 day program, and evaluations
- Warrior Challenge - (2) Months includes unlimited classes, 8 week training program, and evaluations
MONKEY BAR GYM | TRAINING EQUIPMENT
Where can I purchase your recommended equipment?
Each item is made by Lifeline USA, the industry leader in functional fitness and portable fitness equipment. And is the number one choice among world-class and Olympic athletes.
MONKEY BAR GYM | PERSONAL TRAINING
Please call (414) 395-5070 for current rates and more details.